Monday, March 29, 2010

First Soccer games

Vance had his first soccer games on Saturday.

We found out that there had been a game time change around 7:00 PM on Friday night. Instead of 8:00 and 9:00 games, we had 1:00 and 2:00 games.

(We have never been so unhappy with a YMCA. It was a pain getting initial info about the team before sign-up, unanswered phone calls, the Y not notifying the coach about the league starting, so we missed one opportunity to practice, not letting Justin know that he was the assistant coach, schedule mix ups, not letting us know that the majority of our games are 30 minutes away, and the leagues are clearly not age appropriate. It's a mess.)

That said, onto the game!

I didn't want to miss out on the first game, so we sacrificed Vaughn's nap, which is always (always!) a bad idea. I forgot my real camera and had to rely on my camera phone.

He's out there somewhere, #20 if you can make out the numbers. Justin is in the red shirt and black pants. The opposing team didn't have enough players, so we gave them some of ours.

They lost their first game by a lot. No, I don't know the score and really only saw seconds of the game. I failed to mention that it was freezing and the wind was insane. I spent all my time trying to block Vaughn from the wind and keep her covered up.

Vance did well and liked running around and playing defense the best. After the first game was over and he finished his snack he asked if when we were going to leave. "Ha!" I told him. You've got another game! (Again, kudos to the Y for scheduling double headers for the 4 & 5 year olds new to soccer.)

Here he is getting ready to play goalie for part of the second game. He didn't like it at all. He's all about defense.

Here's Vaughn. She's half frozen at this point. Wasn't even wearing socks and wouldn't keep blankets on. And the wind was literally blowing them off. My teeth were actually chattering.

We won the second game and Vance did a great job. He's definitely a runner. We packed up right after, walked our chilly buns thru the mud and loaded into the car for the 30 minute ride home. We got home, changed clothes, and walked right back out the door to a birthday party for Vance's friend.

Here he is on the zip line, after even more running around. This was our first visit to a My Gym and it was really cute. Vance had a great time and was officially worn out afterwards.

(Apologies. Our internet has been off and on and is the reason this post seems rushed and blah.)

4 Responses to “First Soccer games”

  1. Anonymous10:22 AM

    sounds like a crazy weekend.

    the mayor

  2. I hate to say that it sounded like a miserable Saturday. That is really not smart of the YMCA to have a double header for the first games of the season. They seem a little disorganized. I hope the next games are much better, esp. better weather. It was freezing on Saturday! Vance looked good out there though.

  3. Sarah, it was miserable. Totally miserable. Hindsight I should have stayed home with Vaughn. I didn't realize how cold it was and both games combined, I only saw a couple of minutes. I'm dreading the next game when Justin won't be able to come - at least it will only be one game though!

  4. Ah, the good old days of freezing your @$$ off at soccer games :)

    Hated it! But we have to get our kids in all the activities...mine had soccer, karate, football, softball, bowling, horseback riding, drama...I could go on and on.

    Then he decided that he didn't like any of it and hasn't done any of it since.



Copyright © Charisa Darling | Premade Blog Design by Lilipop Designs